Be happy! it sound so easy, so jolly and care free, but why is it so hard to feel happy sometimes? Because being happy takes work. Don’t get me wrong, I am not talking about working to buy the next thing you think will make you happy; it is not about material things. Things will not make you happy long term, they just satisfy an immediate want or need. I am talking about what it takes to feel whole, to feel at peace, to feel relaxed, to make you smile from the soul. Being happy starts from within you, it starts by you taking care of healing your soul, to love the amazing person you are, the capacity of love in your heart, the acceptance of those things you can’t change, and the drive and motivation to change those things you can change. Being happy is giving your loved ones the time they need to feel loved and cared for and do the same for you in return. It means building meaningful relationships, taking care of your body and your mind, exploring and nourishing your curious and adventurous side. Stop thinking about what you can get that will make you happy and start thinking on what you can do to work in your lasting happiness. Change your mindset and your daily actions, you’ll see the difference.
Here are some things you can do on a regular basis to work on your happiness:
- Exercise – you’ve heard this one before and it is true. Even if you do a light workout to get those endorphins going, it helps.
- Sleep enough – please try to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. Your body and your mind will thank you, plus you wake us in a better mood.
- Go outside – even if you just go for a quick walk during your lunch, go out, see the natural light, breathe the fresh air and appreciate your surroundings.
- Build a strong support system – surround yourself with people who truly care about you and you care about, people that will be there no matter what and that will push you up and encourage you.
- Social gatherings- with family or friends. I know you want to go home, get in bed and binge-watch a show, but make sure to spend time with those you love.
- Good deeds – volunteer to help others, it will give you a great sense of satisfaction and you’ll be doing something good for someone else.
- Meditate – this will help you relax, quiet your mind,be aware of your breathing, and help your body and mind to connect.
- Smile and or laugh – of course we are not always in the mood to do this,, but smiling or laughing generate more smiling and/or laughing from yourself and/or others. You can also brighten someone else’s day with this.
- Find what you are passionate about and do it as a hobby.
- Take time to appreciate what you do have material or not. Be grateful!
These are only some things to get you started, but it is all about acknowledging that everything takes work, accept it, work on it, and have a positive mindset. Everyone has dark days (some more than others), just make sure you see the light at the end of the tunnel and you walk towards it. If you struggle with this, it is okay to ask for help, bring a partner along in your journey to happiness and work together. You are not alone.
Stay true – Chantal