Today I want to give continuity to the last wellness post in which I talked about the Root Chakra and move on to its neighbor, the second energetic point in the body called the Sacral Chakra. This is also called Svadhisthana and it derives from the Sanskrit words, “Swa” that means one’s own and “Adhisthana” that means seat. This is said to be the seat of emotions as it linked to your emotional responses as well as creativity, sensuality, pleasure, and reproductive functions. People that have a balanced sacral chakra are often perceived as friendly, compassionate, emotionally stable, energetic, creative, and passionate (all great traits to have!).
What happens if the sacral chakra is not balanced you ask?
If it is underactive, it can be linked to feelings of isolation, insecurities, low libido, fatigue, hypersensitivity, introversion, and lack of trust.
If it is overactive, it can be linked to emotional detachment of others, sex addiction, substance abuse, bipolarity, and eating disorders.
Obviously, since this chakra is all about our emotions, it is a good idea to keep it balanced so we don’t have a complete emotional meltdown or engage in risky behaviors!
Feeling on the verge of an emotional crisis?
There are several things you can do to balance your sacral chakra and it is a good idea to practice these on a regular basis in order to stay balanced:
- Because this chakra is located in the lower abdomen, moving and stretching your hips is a great idea. You can try some yoga poses where you engage the hips or even try some belly dancing or merengue. Shakira’s got nothing on me! 😉
- Maintaining a healthy diet and incorporating exercise in your daily routine. Tip: incorporate ginger in your diet (i.e. in tea or shakes), this is a miracle root with many properties
- Get a hobby that allows you to express yourself creatively
- Speak to a counselor or spiritual guide. It is okay to seek help!
- The sacral chakra is identified by the color orange; its opposite color is blue. If your chakra needs a little boost, surround yourself with the color orange; however, if the opposite is true, use the color blue
- Meditation is a great practice to balance all your chakras. For the sacral chakra, utilize visualization, concentrating on your lower abdomen, breathing deeply, and imagining an orange light nourishing that energy point
- Aromatherapy is also of great help. Some essential oils that work specifically for this chakra are: jasmine, orange, rose, sandalwood, and clary sage
- Chakra stones that can be used for the healing of the sacral chakra are amber and orange carnelian
Remember, mental health and your inner well being are even more important than any outside beauty. Everything starts from within, take care of yourself starting from the inside and everything else will follow.
Stay true – Chantal
What is your favorite way to relax and take care of your inner self?